Collagen (Wikipedia) can simply be described as a protein that acts as a glue that “holds our body together“. The benefits are not only touted for the skin, but also for the heart and some says it can even improve athletic performance. Other benefits associated with collagen are:
- It is said to help with Healthier and younger-looking skin.
- It is rich in calcium and protein, without the carbohydrates.
- It is said to improve blood supply by strengthening the blood vessels.
- Assist the body in metabolizing fats, therefore good for weight loss.
- It is said to slow the effect of arthritis.
- It is said to help reduce pain and swelling (inflammation).
- Optimum Condition of Extracting Collagen from Chicken Feet and its Characteristics (National Chung-Hsing University) (PDF);
- Broth is Beautiful (Weston A. Price Foundation);
- The protective effects of long-term oral administration of marine collagen hydrolysate from chum salmon on collagen matrix homeostasis in the chronological aged skin of Sprague-Dawley male rats. (PubMED);
- Collagen Benefits (HerbWisdom);
Chicken feet are not only rich in collagen but also a good source of hyaluronic acid, and chondroitin sulfate. Hyaluronic acid is touted as the fountain of youth – it is said to prevent the effects of aging. Chondroitin sulfate helps with osteoarthritis so it should be good for huumans and pets with joint problems.