Are there Safe Handling Procedures for Raw Food for Cats and Dogs?
Common sense must prevail when handling raw meat. You do this all the time when you prepare a meal for the family. After handling raw meat for your pets, do wash your hands before eating your own food. Sterilize any knives, surfaces or utensils used in the preparation or handling of your pets’ food. We recommend using a stainless steel or glass dish, which is washed thoroughly with soap and hot water after every meal. Discard any uneaten food and store raw pet food in such a way it does not contaminate human food. After thawing the food, we recommend it is only kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Keep all food frozen until ready to thaw and feed. Thaw food in the refrigerator the day before you plan to use;
- Quick thaw should be done in cold water in the sink only;
- Never cook or microwave food as all of our recipes contain ground bone;
- Feed in a stainless steel or glass bowl and wash thoroughly afterwards with hot soapy water;
- Raw food will maintain its quality and freshness for up to five days in the refrigerator, however, we advise between 2 – 3 days in an airtight container;
- Raw food is NOT for human consumption, even though they are made from human-grade produce, clearly separate thawed food in your fridge;
- Most raw mince meals contain ground bone which should not be ingested by humans under any circumstances;
- Practice safe handling of raw meat on all surfaces and utensils used for serving and feeding;
- Wash all surfaces, bowls, utensils, and hands thoroughly in hot, soapy water when finished handling and use the same care when cleaning up your pets’ waste.
By always following normal safe meat-handling procedures with all raw animal products, you’ll virtually eliminate the risk of illness for your pet and your family.
Be sure to also checkout our blog for additional articles.