Are There Best Practices for Thawing Raw Food for Cats and Dogs?
To ensure a successful long-term raw fooding regiment for you and your pet, we recommend following these Raw Pet Food safe-handling instructions.
- Use a glass bowl to thaw meals in chub rolls or flat packs;
- Allow 24 hours to defrost in refrigerator;
- Once thawed, product should be served within 2-3 days;
- Carefully wash bowl or plate or storage container with hot, soapy water before reuse;
- If you have thawed the meal, please do not leave it out at room temperature after it has thawed. You should be careful to serve it immediately or keep it in the refrigerator for safe storage.
- Place your thawing meats on a plate, in a glass container just to make sure the meat juices don’t leak out;
- Thaw the meat in the refrigerator. Once it is soft enough to handle (there should still be ice crystals in the centre of the meat), immediately portion it out and re-freeze;
- If you need to thaw the meat quickly, thaw on the counter top on a plate or in a container, but bag it and re-freeze it while there are still ice crystals in the centre of the meat.
- Do not use a microwave.