Going away without your mutts, pups and nobles is no fun. Our resource page with pet friendly accommodation and recreational venues will grow over time as we receive feedback from pet parents.
Disclaimer / Guest Responsibilities
Please do not assume that every establishment will allow all pet types and breeds. We cannot be held responsible for a disappointing experience if you do not communicate with the establishment about your pet(s) prior to your arrival.
- Prior arrangement is essential.
- Contact the establishment to confirm pet types and sizes allowed.
- HoliDogz Pet Friendly Accommodation & Camping Directory (Ref) – dedicated local resource;
- Airbnb (Ref – search for places to go, and checkout if it’s pet friendly.;
- PetFriendly Accommodations (global) (Ref) – a dedicated online resource that includes South Africa;
- PetFriendly Accommodations (local) (Ref) – a dedicated service locally for South Africa;
- Pet Friendly Accommodation by SA Venues (Ref) – a dedicated directory by SA-Venues for South Africa;
- Pet Friendly Accommodation by WhereToStay (Ref) – a dedicated directory by WhereToStay for South Africa;
- Pet Friendly Holiday Accommodation by PetHealthCare (Ref);
- SafariNow Pet Friendly Accommodation listings (Ref);
- Pet Friendly Hotels in South Africa by TripAdvisor (Ref).
Once you have established whether pets are welcome or not, you should ask a few questions to avoid any surprises:
- Are all pets welcome? Perhaps they dislike cats or dogs that bark too much.
- Are there any other animals resident at the establishment? For example, a territorial resident meeting your unneutered male pet may not bode so well for your stay.
- Is there an enclosed are? If you are visiting an area where it would be dangerous if your pet escaped, like central Johannesburg, an enclosed space is going to make your pet-friendly holiday a lot less stressful.
- What is the pet policy? Are pets required to be on a leash at all times? Do you pay extra for pets?
- Are there walks or open spaces nearby where you can take your pet to stretch his legs?
Once you have figured out these details, you should be on your way to a fun, stress-free holiday with your pet.
Please do ping us if you know of other resources and online guides that we can include. If you cater for pets, please ensure that you register your establishment with one (if not all) of the online directories!