Any tips to transition picky eaters and older dogs to a raw food diet?
Picky eaters or older dogs may turn their noses up at the smell and texture of their new food. Don’t worry, as this is a common occurrence (particularly with smaller dogs) and is usually easy to address by following these steps:
- Eliminate treats during the transition
- Fast your dog the night before starting the transition
- Serve the meal in an appealing manner in a new place or “safe” area of your kitchen away from foot traffic.
- Add flavour “bribes” such as cheese or an egg yolk
- Last resort, gently cook the raw meals to release the flavours and aromas of the food by lightly baking the meal in a toaster oven or poaching it quickly on the stove.
Be sure to also checkout our blog for additional articles.